Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cocina Poblana

I had to make an entire post dedicated to a restaurant we frequented while on vacation. After getting of the plane in Oakland we were both hungry so I headed over to Jack London Square which was more or less on the way. There was a plethora of eateries to choose from but nothing catches my eye or my heart like a well presented Mexican establishment. We ended up hitting a home run with the first swing.


As I opened the menu my eye went straight to the mole, I have searched for nearly 20 years for mole that could rival those that I had on my sojourn in No Cal during the early 90's . The mole happened to be the house specialty but there were four to choose from. They were listed thusly;

Mole Poblano 

 $15.00


Authentic mole poblano from our family recipe. All of our moles are served with broiled chicken leg and thigh, poblano rice and handmade corn tortillas.+More

Mole Mama Luisa 

 $15.00

Authentic mole de Jalisco. Our Mama Luisa's specialty. All of our moles are served with broiled chicken leg and thigh, poblano rice and handmade corn tortillas.

Mole Mama Elena 

 $15.00

Our Grandmother's personal recipe. Mole negro in the Guanajuato style. All of our moles are served with broiled chicken leg and thigh, poblano rice and handmade corn tortillas.

Mole Pipian 

 $15.00

Our Grandfather's specialty. Pumpkin seeds with the essence of chile guajillo. All of our moles are served with broiled chicken leg and thigh, poblano rice and handmade corn tortillas.




I was torn, which one to choose. Then I spotted this;

Cuatro Moles 

 $20.00


A sample of each of Chef Lito's delicious moles. Sserved with broiled chicken leg and thigh, poblano rice and handmade corn tortillas. Perfect for sharing!


All four moles on one plate, with home made corn tortillas! I had to have it and my Bride, going against her norm, was up for the challenge.  We were not disappointed, it was the best mole I have ever had not actually sitting in an old lady's kitchen.
We ate it the way it's supposed to be done sans silverware, just rip that tortilla into quarters and use the pieces to pick up the rustic, spicy goodness then lick your fingers clean.  I caught the waitress eyeballing us, her quick smile told me that she could appreciate our technique.


Bottom line; if you ever have the chance, do not pass this up.  I am glad we don't have a Cocina Poblana in my town or I would need to add a "Mole" line to the monthly budget.

Vaya con Dios chef Lito.

No comments: